Thursday, June 5, 2014

PBC Messenger 06/05/14







We are happy to announce that we now have a new Deacon ministry. Harvey Burch, Rex Nelson and John Pringle have accepted the call to become deacons to serve our congregation in this area. We are so thankful for their hearts to serve and look forward to see how God will use them in their new roles within our church.



 
 
 

What’s happening with PBC this week:

(Meetings are here at church unless otherwise noted)

Sunday:     9:00 am Sunday Service
                 5-7pm  iYouth - Food will be provided  BRING FRIENDS!

Tuesday:    5:30 pm  First Place 4 Health

Thursday:  7:00am Men’s Bible Study (at CafĂ© Colorado)
               10:00am Senior’s Bible Study 
(at Jean Townsend’s home)
 
Friday:     3:33-5:33pm  Friday Funday (at Yamaguchi park)
 

Text Box: Serving PBC this week (4/20):
Nursery: Don & Paula F.
3’s-Kindergarten: Brenda E.
Grades 1-5: Christy & Stephen P.
Refreshments: Marlene T., Dot K, & Mercedes
Greeters: Blair & Barbara B.

 




 
We are in desperate need of teachers and helpers for Sunday school. Please contact Stephen Porter if you can help in any way.



 
CHURCH CLEAN-UP DAY
June 7th  - 9:00 am


Please bring rakes, wheelbarrows, gloves and willing hands.

 


 

We are looking for some volunteers to do some regular yard / landscaping maintenance at the church throughout the summer.  Please contact the church office if this is an area in which you would like to serve.

 


 

 
 
 
 


Serving this week (6/8): 
 Nursery: Carol & Linda
 
3’s-Kindergarten: Kristie B. & Mercedes
 
Grades 1-5: Barbara M.

Greeters:  Dick & Judy Clare

Refreshments:  Stella Lang & Ann Burch
 


Serving our family next week (6/15): 

 Nursery: Jessica & Diane
 3’s-Kindergarten: ?????
 Grades 1-5: ??????
Greeters:  Don & Paula Ford


 






We are in desperate need of teachers and helpers for Sunday school. Please contact Stephen Porter if you can help in any way.


 

 



Sunday Refreshments!!

We’re in need of some more volunteers to help with the refreshments after church…. This can be a one time thing (even summer people can do it). 

Sign up sheet is in the foyer.

 


 





Baby bottles are due back next Sunday, Father's Day. Please be sure to return your bottle, full or empty or somewhere in between ~ the Pagosa Pregnancy Center staff appreciates your support as it serves the community! Thank you!

 




You are encouraged to enroll your City Market Value Card online to earn rewards for the Pagosa Pregnancy Support Center ( our id is #10414 and the website is: citymarket.com). YOU WILL NEED TO RE-REGISTER EACH YEAR! This is a NEW system, so even if you were signed up in the past, you will need to register online. There is no cost to enroll, and enrollment will not affect your fuel points or coupon discounts. It will, however, enable PPSC to earn up to $10,000 per year. Pick up a flyer at the baby bottle table in the foyer to learn how to enroll.

 


The Ladies Bible Study pot luck salad luncheon and devotional has been postponed from Monday, June 9th until Monday June 16th.

Time 9:30 a.m. fellowship time, 10:00 devotional followed by lunch.  All are welcome.
  



 

Summer Children's Ministry Opportunities 
 
 

Summer Children's Ministry Opportunities


Friday Fundays:  June 6, 13, 20, 27 (Yamaguchi or South Parks)


Volunteers needed for teaching, support staff, off the tarp (family   discussions just outside the clubs) drivers, snacks, etc.

For questions or more information see Stephen Porter.


 


 
Save the date..... there's an upcoming benefit concert (Jason Rose and Denise Chaney) for the Pagosa Pregnancy Support Center on June 22nd 1-3pm at town park. 
 
See poster on bulletin board at secretary's desk for more info.



 
 


 
PRAYER REQUESTS:


Please pray for John Frakes, the oldest son of Carol and John Frakes. He will be having a biopsy on May 28th to determine if is there is a malignancy in his prostate. Please pray for good results from the testing on John.
 

Robert, the uncle of Diana Kelley, lives in Florida. He has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome. He has another appointment tomorrow in Orlando for a second opinion. Please pray for God's healing.
 
 
 

 

MISSIONS UPDATES

SOUTHEAST ASIA - Emily Buikema
This is from the latest update from Emily Buikema in SE Asia. Please be in prayer for her...

"In the last couple of weeks, I’ve taken some hits. My motorbike was stolen (as you know), my dog attacked me, I’ve been very ill, and now it is my displeasure to inform you that our new house has not worked out, and we are in the process of finding a new one. With each of these things, I felt increasingly discouraged and eventually more overwhelmed with anxiety and fear than I’ve ever experienced. While these combined things are undoubtedly cause for great stress, it seemed that my discouragement was greater than normal.

It was then that my country director and his wife talked to me about where I was--emotionally, spiritually, mentally--and none of them were good places. We talked over what steps to take to give me the support and rest I needed. We ultimately decided that I needed a break from {the country}. A break to talk about everything that’s happened in the last 9 months. The plane crash and other events that haven’t warranted an email but have definitely warranted great grief have finally brought me to my knees; and I’m being told a lot that this is a great place to be. 

In the coming weeks, I’ll be heading to Chiang Mai, Thailand, to catch my breath and get some distance from *** and receive some counseling and support from a ministry that serves people like me (mssnry people). I’m hopeful that it will be used as a way to bring me peace which has evaded me for so long, and fearful that returning to *** will cause all of my anger and unrest to rise up again. I am asking for your prayer in that. That *** would recapture my heart, and that I would have rest. I’m so tired.

I didn’t really intend on telling you this before I wrote this email. But as I typed the words “Dear Friends and Family” I realized that this is not something to keep from such a group. I’m ok. I promise. I go to work, I laugh, I remain passionate about my future here, and I continue to adore my team and have so much love and respect for them and for their ability to recognize when one of their own needs help.

The original reason I wrote this email was because in addition to all those things I mentioned, I just learned that I have what seems to be an unmeetable need. I wrote an email to our financial department to ask about getting an advance for my new motorbike. I learned that I have a support deficit that needs to be addressed quickly, and hopefully with long term effects, or I am in danger of returning to America long-term. The thought terrifies me. This is why I didn’t want to write you, because I’m asking the most I’ve ever asked of you, and you, this group of people scattered around America, are the entirety of my contacts and support team. You’ve already done your job, but here I am, asking for overtime! For my support balance to reach even, I need to raise $10,000 by August. I have no idea how to do this, and have only this email to get the word out. I don’t know what to ask. For you to give
double? For you to start giving again if you have stopped? For a miracle? For you to send this to anyone and everyone who has a heart for giving and for this type of work? For a rich person to write me a giant check?

I don’t know what to do, but I will start with asking for all those things. My heart breaks to ask you for more, because you have given enough. And if you believe that with me, then I only ask for your prayers. I need God to do something big, and I hope he will do it through you. I also want to thank you for getting me here in the first place and continuing to lift me up through the good and bad. I will keep you posted on all things financial and emotional. I love you all very much."





 
AFRICA - The Hauger Family

Yep. Summertime.  It would surely be a welcomed season if we were living in Pagosa.  Snow melt filling the river for hot afternoon tubing, Big Trains and iced chais with moms on the deck of the local coffee shop, friendly barbeques and toasted marshmallows during soft sunset evenings... hmmm... Ok, I'm digressing.

Summertime in Kenya is not marked by such drastic changes of temperature and activities.  Everything stays about the same.  Kids are not even freed from the confines of classrooms till August. We continue serving, working, studying and playing in the same chaotic routine as usual. The warm African sun merely moves in a more easterly direction. setting a few minutes later, dropping in  glowing splendor beyond the great Lake Victoria's horizon.
The BIGGEST change for us is summertime visitors!!! And we welcome them with anticipation of a child expecting Christmas, especially this year since we won't be traveling back to the States for a few weeks of furlough.  We get busy (or should I say busier) around here rearranging space to accommodate extra beds, hanging mosquito nets, scheduling meetings, organizing transportation and purchasing surplus supplies.  Short term missions brings benefits for us, the community we serve and those who travel to spend a few weeks of their summer exploring another culture so different from their own.

For us...We get to share our lives with visitors, showing them our favorite places, our favorite people and favorite (and least favorite) foods.  We show them how to lock the security gates and run water through filters. We explain the night time noises, assuring them the backfiring tuktuks are not gunshots (smile).  These visitors become our stateside information guides and our safe place to vent frustrations. The best part of hosting visitors is watching them observe obvious extremes and then, find the place they fit; their blessings become something given, not owned.

For the community... Here in Kisumu, scriptures interweaves into the landscape where desperate widows still gather vessels for the miraculous oil.  Orphaned children search for belonging and the lonely look for families. The gospel is preached with busy hands and steady feet and sore muscles and sweaty brows. Living it involves everything. Our community welcomes visitors with hugs, smiles and brimming curiosity. Regardless how little they might have, they long for you to partake, enjoy and release yourself like an open tap of clean water.

For our visitors... As we physically prepare for guests, we also begin praying the influences of Holy Spirit creates radical realities for their pending experiences on this foreign field. Will you join us in prayer?

  • May they find that biblical development work is the manifestation of prophetic  transformations (Psalm 10:12-18, Psalm 68:4-10). 
  • May they participate in stories of deliverance, healing, restoration and celebrate the newness Christ brings out of degradation and corruption (Isaiah 58:6-12, Luke 4:18-19, Matthew 25:37-40).
  • May they know the rich relationships created from adversity because Jesus' blood carries us together - black and white, Kenyan and American - on this journey of forgiveness and faith; futures merge into divine destinies (Jeremiah 29:11).
We know our visitors will carry home more than souvenirs and a good tan.  Their experiences will help mold their worldview, discover God's plans for those who are among the least, and (more often than not), bring them back to  love those who need to know their Creator cares.
 
Yep!  Summertime!  We're excited!  Wanta come?

Asante sana for all your prayers, support and encouragement.
hugs from the haugers Ooo0o





Elder on call for June
Don Taylor
Our elders would really like to know about your prayers needs and
questions. Please let them know what’s happening with you.